HOW TO GET RID OF MOLD ON YOUR WINDOWS
Mold is no joke, and is considered quite dangerous when it manages to grow inside of a home. The longer mold is dealt with, the greater it can grow, which can eventually make its way into air filtration systems, depositing it around the house where it can be inhaled. Mold itself is little more than a series of spores that transport on wind, but when they make contact with moisture, the substance can grow rapidly.
Black mold is easy to spot, but it’s important to deal with the moment it starts manifesting around the home. Luckily, there are some tried and tested methods to get rid of mold before it can become more problematic. Failure to deal with mold in a timely manner furthers the risk of developing respiratory illnesses, asthma and bronchitis, to name but a few.
GATHER THE RIGHT TOOLS
Before tackling your mold problem, it’s important to have the right tools and equipment so that you can be safe. First and most importantly, wear a face or dust mask to ensure that you don’t accidentally breathe in the mold spores that can become airborne during cleaning. For extra safety, wear protective goggles and rubber gloves to prevent spores from getting in the eyes and on the skin.
A bucket and spray bottle are also handy, since wetting the mold can prevent many of the spores from lifting up during cleaning. Pick a cleaning cloth, sponge or paper towel of high quality to wipe the mold away. And finally, pick up some steel wool or a brush with thick bristles in order to scrub the mold thoroughly. Never keep these materials, but rather, throw them out once you’re done to minimize any risk of mold lingering after the cleaning.
BLEACH OR VINEGAR DOES THE TRICK
Vinegar is routinely used to clean dirt, but mold requires a specific kind – white vinegar. An alternative chemical is bleach, which can kill mold spores on contact. Dilute it with water as per the instructions on the bottle of bleach so that you can be sure you’re using it correctly. Once the bleach and water are mixed, you’re ready to start.
Keep in mind that regular water, disinfectant wipes and other cleaning materials are probably of no good use here, so it’s wise to stick to white vinegar or bleach. That way you can be sure you’re conducting the most thorough and tested cleaning.
YOU’RE READY TO CLEAN
Now that you have your necessary tools and solution, it’s time to get to work. First, spray the area with normal water, which will loosen its grip on the window, while weighing it down so spores cannot fly off as easily. Afterwards, dip your cloth, sponge or paper towel into the cleaning solution and apply it to the mold. Make sure to cover it all so the bleach or white vinegar solution can work its magic.
Next, use the steel wool or sponge to scrub around the affected area, which will work the cleaning solution into the mold even more, while loosening its hold on the window. By breaking up the mold, the cleaning solution can more easily penetrate and kill the most stubborn spores. Once complete, let the area dry before then dousing it with water from your spray bottle, and wipe away.
DRY THE CLEANED AREA
Mold relies on moisture to grow, which means any leftovers have all the chances they need to start growing all over again. Make sure to dry the cleaned area thoroughly so that all the moisture has evaporated. Hair dryers or heat guns work wonders here, but be careful when using the latter, as the heat can cause damage to the window or sill if kept on for too long. Otherwise, a dehumidifier or fan can do the job.
THROW YOUR CLEANING MATERIALS OUT
It’s tempting to save your cleaning brush, steel wool or cloth for another day, but that’s a huge no no. These items need to go, as they’re considered permanently contaminated even after cleaning. Don’t re-use them, but rather, throw them out as soon as possible. Don’t allow dirty materials to fester in the trash, either. Seal them up so the spores have no opportunity to stick to the inside of the trash can.
The objective is to cover all the bases, even if you think the possibility of another mold outbreak is insignificant. All it takes is a few spores, and a new colony can grow in a relatively short space of time. Therefore, don’t hang on to anything that previously came into contact with the mold.
SHOULD YOU HIRE A PROFESSIONAL?
Small mold outbreaks can be handled using the above steps, but what about larger ones? You may require the assistance of a professional with the right equipment and training to safely deal with mold. If that’s the case, make sure to keep your pets and children away from any room containing mold, until the professional has completed the job.
Professional window cleaners have dealt with mold before, and they know how to get rid of it safely. Not only will they come out and clean your windows once or twice a year, but they can also check for, and mitigate the spread of mold before it has a chance to become a major problem. Preventative maintenance is best when dealing with mold.
Toronto Window Cleaners knows how prevalent mold is, and we’re always ready to tackle it so that you don’t have to. If the job is too big, don’t risk dealing with mold on your own. Breathing it in can cause a number of health-related issues that aren’t worth it. Instead, sit back and watch Toronto Window Cleaners get to work, while making your windows sparkle like brand new at the same time! Contact us today for more information.